Implementing vowel marks

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 10:55:51PM +0200, Lisa Seeman wrote:

> >Dumb question, why are the vowels usually omitted in Hebrew and
> In the mean time the event I have been dreading has happened. Access-Israel,
> the accessibility advocates in Israel, have asked me to make their site
> accessible.
> Any volunteers?

I'm not volunteering to do it, but I can tell you how.

1. Build a collection of images for each character
   with all possible vowel marks.

2. Prepare an IMG tag for each image, with source, border=0, and
   alt="H" (with the actual hebrew letter in place of H)

3. Build a tool that, given the standard spelling of a word,
   automatically replaces that word with the vowelized image tags if
   the vowelization is unique, and lets you choose from a list of
   vowelizations if it isn't. If a dictionary of vowelizations is
   available, such a tool may be readily implemented as a macro on top
   of an EMACS HTML editor. If you can find a skilled EMACS macros
   programmer who knows the vowelization system, she should be able to
   build this tool for you in a couple of days' work.

4. Recruit volunteers with knowledge to the vowel mark system to use
   this tool to translate the actual pages.

The resulting pages will be readable as Voweled Hebrew in a graphic
browser, and as standard Hebrew text (from ALT tag content) in reading
browsers, lynx etc.
--
				Adam Reed
				areed2@calstatela.edu

Context matters. Seldom does *anything* have only one cause.