Re: Question on abbreviations (fwd)

At 02:41 PM 12/28/2000 , Matt May wrote:
>My main issue is with using search-and-replace as a solution to anything.
>Are the webmasters at IBM going to look at a list of guidelines and say,
>"gosh, we've got 30 gigs of content, not counting everything in our
>knowledge bases, most of which contain all kinds of acronyms and
>abbreviations, some of which are duplicated or usage-sensitive... yeah, go
>ahead and run that sed script"? Negative!
>
>Now think about places other than plain-old markup where content can hide:
>in content management systems, ASP/JSP/CGI code, Oracle databases (both
>web-specific and multipurpose)... it appears to me that the dangers of
>search and replace are not being considered here.

Matt, not everyone on this list has the same depth of technical
know-how -- can you explain what the dangerous of search-and-replace
are, and why the IBM webmasters would not want to run a sed script
over their content storage system?

--Kynn, who knows what Matt means but will let him explain it

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                    http://kynn.com/
Sr. Engineering Project Leader, Reef-Edapta       http://www.reef.com/