Re: CSS logo

At 11:49 AM 12/27/2000 , Lisa Seeman wrote:
>I was making a draft of our new web site (why me - I don't know, no one else got around to it)
>Anyway I put the WAI AAA logo on it, completely by CSS - I.E. no text in images.
>If we want to use it as an alternative for the non component logo, then feel free. (see globalformats.com I know I have to fix it up a bit - just look at the logo)
>
>Should we do the same to the other logos on the WAI?

Lisa, I made a similar attempt at the same on my home page a
year or so ago.  There are some problems with mine as there
are with yours, but different problems.  Mine doesn't rescale,
and is trying too hard to be the same size as the existing
graphical logo, for example.  Yours does not display the
proper text when CSS is turned off -- here's what mine says
when viewed without CSS:

This page conforms to W3C's
   Web Accessibility Initiative's Level Single-A compliance with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, version 1.0
     which is available at
     http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505.

You can see this at:

http://kynn.com/

Here's the HTML source:

<DIV CLASS="wcag">
   <SPAN CLASS="wcaginvis">This page conforms to </SPAN>
   <SPAN CLASS="wcagleft">
     <A HREF="http://www.w3.org/"
       ><SPAN CLASS="wcagw3">W3</SPAN><SPAN CLASS="wcagc">C</SPAN
       ></A><SPAN CLASS="wcaginvis">'s</SPAN>
   </SPAN>
   <SPAN CLASS="wcagright">
     <A HREF="http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG1A-Conformance"
       ><SPAN CLASS="wcagwai">W<SPAN CLASS="wcaginvis">eb </SPAN>A<SPAN CLASS="wcaginvis">ccessibility </SPAN>I<SPAN CLASS="wcaginvis">nitiative's Level Single</SPAN></SPAN>-<SPAN CLASS="wcaglevel">A </SPAN><SPAN CLASS="wcaginvis">compliance with the </SPAN>
        <SPAN CLASS="wcagwcag">W<SPAN CLASS="wcaginvis">eb </SPAN>C<SPAN CLASS="wcaginvis">ontent </SPAN>A<SPAN CLASS="wcaginvis">ccessibility </SPAN>G<SPAN CLASS="wcaginvis">uidelines, version</SPAN> 1.0</SPAN></A>
     </SPAN>
   <SPAN CLASS="wcaginvis"> which is available at
     <A HREF="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505">http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505</A>.</SPAN>
</DIV>

Here's the CSS source:

/* Web Content Accessibility Guidelines */ .wcag {
   width: 88px;
   height: 32px;
   border: 2px outset white;
   background-color: white;
} .wcagleft {
   font-family: Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif;
   background-color: white;
   float: left;
   width: 26px;
   height: 24px;
   line-height: 24px;
   font-size: 14px;
   /* font-weight: bold; */
   text-align: center;
   padding: 0px;
} .wcagw3 {
   color: #00428C;
} .wcag A:link, .wcag A:visited, A:active {
   text-decoration: none;
} .wcagc {
   color: black;
} .wcagright {
   background-color: #FFD060;
   font-family: Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif;
   text-align: right;
   width: 55px;
   height: 28px;
   float: right;
   font-size: 11px;
   font-weight: bold;
   line-height: 13px;
   padding: 0px;
} .wcagwai {
   font-family: Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif;
   font-size: 11px;
   color: black;
} .wcaglevel {
   font-family: Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif;
   font-size: 11px;
   color: #940000;
} .wcagwcag {
   color: #525252;
   font-family: Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif;
   font-size: 11px;
} .wcaginvis {
   display: none;
}

Sorry about that formatting, the cut/paste didn't seem to work
quite right.

Ideally we could combine together our two approaches; I don't have
the time at the moment to work on this but you are welcome to pillage
my source code for ideas or inspiration if it helps.

(The stylesheet is at http://kynn.com/styles/k.css; you can find the
source code for the HTML on most pages on my web site.)

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                    http://kynn.com/
Sr. Engineering Project Leader, Reef-Edapta       http://www.reef.com/