RE: Checkpoint on testability

Kynn,

	I thinking of "metadata" that would be useful to a teacher, and, initially
it wouldn't matter if it was self-reported by the author in the keywords,
or collected by an online tool and reported by search engines or indexes.
But it would be easier for the page author to report the information if
they entered the data under "page properties" to be set before page is
uploaded.  The author is the best one to tell if/how many of the graphics
on a page are illustrations and which are there for other reasons.

	 But, this "accessibility" issue doesn't seem to be as much about users
with disabilities as all users.

					Anne

At 04:14 PM 12/22/00 -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>At 07:04 PM 12/22/2000 , Anne Pemberton wrote:
>>William,
>>
>>         It would be a great tool to be able to search for educational
materials
>>and be able to choose those with illustrations (number of illustrations
>>would be nice to know, as would some designation of "reading level"/target
>>audience) ...
>
>Anne, do you believe this information should be self-reported,
>reported by an outside agency (say, people who run a search engine
>or web index), or evaluated by some sort of automatic metrics?
>
>Is the "number of illustrations" metrics useful?  Many web pages
>use "decorative" images, navigation buttons, and many other things
>which are not really "illustrations" in the sense that you have
>argued for; thus the number of "illustrations" -- if that means
>just graphics counts -- may not be useful at all.
>
>Is there any reasonable way to measure reading level automatically?
>I have not heard good things about the methods which exist to do
>this automatically.
>
>--
>Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                    http://kynn.com/
>Sr. Engineering Project Leader, Reef-Edapta       http://www.reef.com/