Example of Three labeled buttons[was "the text in images issue"]

Per  one of my action items from last meeting...

There's some examples of three images images in a row, with real text
labels underneath each, at
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday/wai/tablebutton/index.html

It may look visually like text is part of the image but  actually it uses
separate, real text.

These examples:

1. Show that images can be placed in a row, with real textlabels
underneath, validate to HTML 4.01, and still have a good reading order (at
least when the browser linearizes tables)  (It will also work on old
browsers that simple ignore links with null alt text).

2. Underline that the issue is not the merit of having a textual
description next or visually part of an image.  I think we all agree such
labels are valuable.   The issue is only whether this visual appearance can
be implemented acceptably without actually making the text part of the image.

3. Show an extra implementation detail: separating the table cells by cells
containing a single <BR>, to improve readability in Lynx.

Len

--
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple

Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/