RE: the text in images issue [was: errata...]

At 2:44 AM -0500 12/16/00, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>This approach to having words and images available is what I prefer, except
>that to make it more usable I would include the image and the text in a
>single link element.

Charles, this can introduce some "artifacts" on certain browsers
which are unacceptable to many web designers -- namely the little
"extra blue underline":

[IMAGE]_
text

Some browsers don't do this, and of course one way to avoid this
would be to turn off underlines entirely using CSS.  (Although this
is not actually a good solution, it will be done a lot in practice,
especially as people use CSS to create menu bars -- see my own
home page for an example.)

What do you think about the question of "redundant ALT", which also
came up on the WAI IG yesterday?

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>