RE: the text in images issue

Bruce,

	You may have a point ... I'm not sure where the idea of an arrow in the
right and left corners to indicate next one and back one originated, but it
may be a computer "thing" ... it allows the user control of the timing, but
the arrows are not intuitive symbols, nor is "a" graphic in the corners.
Non-readers see the text "next" as a rectangular blob ...

	But as William points out, whatever graphic or word we use, the use of it
to mean "the page that follows this in the series" will have to be learned
... We've got a start on the bottom left and right corner, and arrows are
the most commonly used graphic... but until they are learned, the text
needs to be there to make the graphic "accessible" to the maximum number of
people ...

	Consider, if the word isn't on the graphic, low vision people who need the
text with the graphic (cuss the fact that they need a crutch, but give it
to 'em), wouldn't have the text there, and they'll be in the same boat as
those who use the web without magnification and need the text ... doen't
magnification users get the mouseover pop-up?

	By banning the text on the graphic, you are handicapping more people than
you are "accommodating" ... and the "accommodation" doesn't give anything
more to those who can't see the text on the graphic at their magnification
level, they are still in the dark as much as everyone else ...

						Anne

At 03:54 PM 12/15/00 -0500, Bailey, Bruce wrote:
>If an icon image is so weak (or subject to interpretation) that it requires
>text to illustrate its function -- then either drop the image (and just use
>the text) or improve the graphic!  Unless, of course (and as the case with
>Anne) the purpose of the page is to teach literacy skills.

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/Homeschooling
apembert@crosslink.net