Re: Errata for WCAG 1.0 checkpoint 3.1 (i.e. the text in images issue)

Good work!

Still some minor fiddles suggested below.

Hope they smell like friendly amendments.

At 03:48 PM 2000-12-14 -0500, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:
>Based on the discussion from 26 October 2000
>[<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2000/10/26-minutes.html%5D>http://www.w3.org/WA
I/GL/2000/10/26-minutes.html] as well as the more
>recent threads, here's where we seem to be at today.

>3.1 When an appropriate markup language exists and is supported, use markup
>rather than raster-based images to convey information. [Priority 2]
>For example, use SVG to create graphics, MathML to mark up mathematical
>equations, and CSS for text-oriented special effects. Avoid using
>raster-based images to represent text  -- use text and style
>sheets.  Raster-based formats such as .gif and .jpeg paint the text as an
>image and prevent scalable magnification of the text.

AG::

Saying "scalable magnification" is repetitiously redundant all over again,
here.

Consider saying

... paint the text as an image whose size is fixed in terms of pixels.  Such
images do not support magnification or scaling as well as the alternatives.
The difference [is important | becomes critical] for users with low vision.

If we have comparative examples to link to, this would be a good place to link
to details of how low-vision users use the content and how different content
encodings respond.

Al

>You may use text in images when:
>1. the text does not convey its literal meaning but has a more graphical
>function, such as a logo and
>2. the effect can not be achieved with CSS and
>3. you have provided a text equivalent for the image.
>Refer also to guideline1, guideline 6 and guideline 11.
>
>However, here's a new wrench:
>Anne suggested that in my example for checkpoint 1.1 of a right arrow that
>links to the next slide in a slide set, that the image ought to contain the
>text "Next."
>[<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2000OctDec/0478.html%5D>h
ttp://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2000OctDec/0478.html] In