Re: What's presentation?

Len,

     I'll take a stand on b)

     The variances are presentation ... Presentation has it's own
structure, and this is structure of the presentation, not structure of the
content.

	If I had the data in a pure database, such as Access, I would change these
variances in the "reports", not in any structure of the data itself.

				Anne

At 08:42 AM 12/1/00 -0500, Leonard R. Kasday wrote:
>We want to separate structure and content on the one hand from presentation
>on the other.  Lets see if we all agree on which is which in a simple
example.

>Say I've surveyed people from various countries and ages to find out their
>favorite movies.  Consider these two versions of a web page:
>
>version 1. H1 headings which are counties, H2 headings which are ages, and
>body text within the H2 that says "Favorite movie is x"
>version 2. H1 headings which are ages, H2 headings which are countries, and
>the same body text.
>
>Now, if you just look at the HTML, you'll say these are different
>content/structure. However, you might also consider the underlying data as
>the content and say that these are different presentations.
>
>So are these (a) different content/structure or (b) different
>presentations?  Please answer (a) or (b) :-).
>
>Can we get a consensus on this? I ask because if we can't get a consensus,
>I think it shows we've got a problem with the guidelines.
>
>Len
>
>p.s.
>Yes, I suppose there are echos here of some things Kynn has been saying...
>--
>Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
>Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple
>University
>(215) 204-2247 (voice)                 (800) 750-7428 (TTY)
>http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday         mailto:kasday@acm.org
>
>Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
>http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/
>
>The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
>http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/Homeschooling