Re: Should we consider factors other than accessibility [was Textual Images vs. Styled Text

No.

That is not a question of policy, it is a question of what is the
accessibiity requirement for a logo. As I understand it, we have recongised
that the meaning of a logo is primarily conveyed by the graphic device, not
the text content. People who cannot read can still recognise the Coca Cola
logo, or the "golden arches" (the trademark of McDonalds restaurants, which
consists of a large golden letter M followed by the rest of the word which is
a lot smaller. For someone who cannot use that, some kind of text identifier
is required. This is different from the title of a document, where the
presentation of the title may be by preference a very fancy font (the
Goosebumps series of books are an example) but the meaning of the title is
primarily conveyed by the text.

In fact the reason we are having trouble defining a logo, I would suggest, is
becuase they are borderline cases. A policy body might define the test in
terms of "reasonable person's understanding". Which of course puts the burden
on us to actually behave like reasonable people in making an assessment, and
explain how we do that.

cheers

Charles

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Leonard R. Kasday wrote:

  Charles,

  re
  At 05:11 PM 11/29/00 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
  >I do not think this group should attempt to describe the state of the art of
  >accessibility in technology around the world, cost it out, and then determine
  >that we know what makes sense for exception cases

  While it's true that we're not a policy making body, what about our
  (apparent) consensus that logos should be exempt from the ban on images of
  text?  Is that an exception case?

  Len

  --
  Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
  Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple

  Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
  http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/

  The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
  http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/

September - November 2000:
W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France