Re: Kynn's Reply: Textual Images vs. Styled Text

At 4:07 PM -0500 11/28/00, Leonard R. Kasday wrote:
>Well put William.
>In other words, WCAG does not say what web designers or owners have to do.
>It only says what's accessible.   That's what the definitions of
>Priority 1, 2, 3 are.  Difficulty of making something accessible may
>be relevant when people decide if they are going to make it
>accessible, but it isn't relevant to the question of whether is
>accessible or not.

Then these aren't "guidelines" and the name needs to be changed.

A guideline tells what to do, when to do it, and why to do it.  A
"definition of accessibility" simply defines whether or not something
is accessible.

It's clear that many people on this working group want to write
accessibility definitions and not write guidelines.  Therefore, I
suggest that WCAG be rechartered and redefined, and clearly state
that the W3C has no intent to issue _guidelines_.  That way other
groups can pick up the slack where WCAG and WAI has failed.

How do I propose this to the WAI coordination group?

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/