Re: Minutes from ever

At 11:06 AM 11/27/00 -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>Remember that some of the greatest works of the English language --
>I'm thinking of Shakespeare here -- were meant to be _performed_
>by _live people_, not simply read out of musty old books in
>quiet classrooms.
>
>(But, why are we talking about this?)

Kynn, because there are some folks who are still back in the typewriter
age, who haven't moved up to the full capabilities of a word processors,
let alone the web!

Seriously, a number of years ago a good friend was still in the research
business, and created some instruments which identified the "brain
hemispheres" as those who were mostly graphical and those who were mostly
text, and the many who were somewhere in between. The "culture" of
"education" tells us that those who can learn from "text" are "superior" to
those who cannot. But the "culture" of the old-fashioned "liberal arts
education" said that text, sound and graphic were equally important. A
"liberal arts education" has now been depricated in favor of a scientific
or business education, and but text still rules the ivied halls.

    (As one who has railled against the bureaucracy of "ivory towers"
muddying up education for decades!)

				Anne

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1