Re: Structure Again!

At 9:03 PM +0000 11/27/00, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
>But surely if I had written something that I wanted to make available to as
>many people as possible, I would want to add in as much presentation as I
>can.

Sean, you do understand what the term "straw man argument" means,
right?

That said, I think it -is- important to note that a good designer
likely _will_ add in as much presentation information as they can.
Can you give a good reason not to?

>Langauge doesn't mean anything, it's just there to be presented, like
>art. When I want people to read my text I don't want them to understand it,
>I just want them to see "well that bit of text is bold, and this bit is
>italic, and this bit is both".

You realize that nobody's said this besides your imagination.  Sure,
it's easy to knock down arguments you purposely construct to be
unsupportable...

>In 20 years time or whatever when there are no formatting browsers
>left, people will still see things like:-

If you saw something that said that, would you be able to understand
it?  I can understand it myself, and people have been understanding
that in print for a long time.  What argument are you trying to
make here?

If you want to present a sarcastic rebuttal, by the way, you should
at least make sure it bears some resemblance to the points you are
trying to rebutt.

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>