Re: Minutes from 16 November 2000 WCAG WG telecon

At 10:05 AM 11/23/00 -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>At 5:32 PM +0000 11/23/00, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
>>True. We need RDF, for stuff like this. I suppose we have to ask "why do we
>>want this bit of text to be 'big'?". All current methods are hacks (<font>,
>><big>, <strong class="big">), but if something needs to be bigger, there
>>must be a reason. Once we have found that reason, it must be possible to
>>include the reason in the markup and add style based on that meaning.

Speaking as a teacher and sometimes author, the reason the author put
ON THE TEST!!! <grin> .... Beyond that, read the text and find it what's
going on ...! If the user can't read the text, then the next step is
graphic-visual or other sensory modalities ...

Would you rather all text be the same and there be no way to add emphasis
via any commands? How would that be "better"? ... When the author selects a
text and marks it bold, he/she is talking directly to you the user, that
this is more important than the other text ...

In the past few days I've been working on web pages a lot, using Front
Page, and noticed a properties screen that appears to allow some "style
sheet" type properties, including "class" ... haven't experimented with it
yet, but wonder how promising it is....

					Anne
Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1