Re: 21 November 2000 draft of WCAG 2.0

At 06:19 PM 11/22/00 -0500, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:
> New draft: http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-20001121.html

>3.3 Divide large blocks of information into more manageable groups where
natural and appropriate.
>For example,
>Divide user interface controls into logically organized groups.
>Paragraphs and sections should have clear, accurate, and informative
headers. Limiting each paragraph to one main idea will help people process
the information.
>Use headings, paragraphs, lists etc., appropriately to communicate
relationships among items, topics or ideas.

Another point should be considered. Illustrate content and place it close
enough to the related text for the user to associate them, or, if the
graphic cannot be positioned relative to the text, include an explicit
statement in text and again close to the graphic, associating the
illustration to it's companion text.

Rationale: The guideline provides explicit help to the page designer on how
to structure text for better usability, but is offered nothing about the
rest of the visual elements. I think designers would appreciate some
guidance. First of all is to indicate that illustrations are needed and
should be included in the content and structure, not just as presentation.
How they are best presented may be up for discussion.

				Anne
Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/Homeschooling