Re: Technique: accessible scripts...

The assumption is that the user is not deliberately trying to mess the server
up, but that the processing has no error-traps built in. I could put a
disclaimer into the example, but I think the security issue is more or less
tangential to the accessibility question.

cheers

Charles

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

  On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

  > On the server when the page is submitted:
  >
  > if (validated=="no") { valider() }
  > else { reserver() }

  The aim is clear: to offer a convenient and fast-acting correction of
  bad input at the client side, to save the round trip to the server.
  So far, so good.

  But if this code means what I think it means, then (quite irrespective
  of accessibility) I'm afraid there is a problem, since a malicious
  user needs only to edit the source to claim that client-side
  validation was done when in fact it wasn't, in order to bypass the
  validation checks.

  It's a firm principle that the server must _always_ validate the
  inputs, no matter whether it thinks they have been pre-validated
  on the client-side or not.

  best regards

September - November 2000:
W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France