Re: Minutes from 16 November 2000 WCAG WG telecon

Kynn, this pretty much sums up my first read of the guideline ...

At 02:46 PM 11/20/00 -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>That last one sounds dirty to me.  I think I would get arrested if I
>walked up to someone and asked to see his or her data model.

Nice to know I'm not quite so unknowledgable as Sean makes me out to be!
And that from a former nemesis!

Kynn, the idea of a summary is good for CD, if the summary is a summary of
the content, and not a summary of "the page" ... Some pages have a summary
of either page or content that displays on a search engine ... it comes
from the first paragraph on the page ... Others start off with the
strangest remarks! A lot of pages I looked for last year on Famous
Americans could have been useful if they'd 1) contained a picture of the
dude/dudess, and 2) a simple summary of the person's importance ... One
point about the web ... it is fluid .... you can't always count on a site
you found last year being the same this year !!!

				Anne

As I watched Sean's posturing, I tried to think of what is actually done
now in CSS that isn't close to possible in the tools I use. In Publisher,
it is possible to do some things that CSS does, like put text over a
graphic (button). Unfortunately, now, Publisher reduces the whole thing,
graphic and text, to a graphic when it converts to HTML. If Publisher could
encode the text over the graphic in a way sinilar to CSS, would that serve?
Or does CSS do more? Perhaps a solution is to further develop features in
existing tools to duplicate what CSS has to do separately and without
backwards compatability. Using a single tool, simple, for web developers to
create good web pages. So that accessibility actually happens ... Word,
Front Page and Publisher all have different features which makes one better
than another for a variety of needs, including accessibility. No one of
them does it all. And, I didn't have to know about SGML in order to use
that knowledge!

>--Kynn
>--
>Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>