Re: Minutes from 16 November 2000 WCAG WG telecon

At 12:09 AM 11/17/00 -0000, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
 HTML does contain legacy presentational elements,
>for example <hr />, but these should be avoided in the interests of
>accessibility (and maybe we could state that in writing???).

Assuming that accessibility means accessibility for all people with
disabilities, and many/most disabled people use the web visually, why would
you want to avoid the use of an element that aids in visual understanding?
(I would have written yesterday about your example of a titled <hr>, but
your address clogged up my mail and I deleted it.) The title for a line
should be Line, or if a graphic is used for the line, "Line of pumpkins",
"Row of pebbles", etc. This presents the same information to sighed and
unsighted users alike. Neither group can just study the line and know what
it's there for, one must input the content on both sides of the line to
find out what is being separated or set off.

				Anne
Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/Homeschooling