Re: Removal of SVG? Re: What is SVG?

At 04:52 PM 11/2/00 -0000, jonathan chetwynd wrote:
>Anne:
>I cannot agree to the need to remove SVG.

Jonathan,
	I was truly disappointed when I realized that accessible SVG isn't what
it's going to be some day. Until SVG is a standard format in the major two
browsers, it isn't much of a reality, and accessible SVG isn't even in
"tool" form yet ... It's what us old-timers used to call "vaporware" ... I
check out a site recommended to see SVG, but the graphics were all gifs and
low resolution. Clicking on them spawned a new window (isn't that a no-no
in accessibility?) The enlarged graphic wasn't the one in the small picture
in all cases, and the bikini photo was full of white spots ...
http://www.pinkjuice.com/SVG/

      SVG has lots of promise, and I do hope that the upcoming
accessibility features of FLASH come about ... I am not sure which will
arrive first and become the actual BEST solution for both text-based
accessibility, and accessibility that addresses the needs of the learning
and cognitively disabled folks, plus young children.

	But, we're here to see and to make the best happen!

					Anne

>What is needed is a well thought out and executed graphical demonstration of
>the intended benefits.
>as we are agreed the current example neither does justice to bitmaps, png or
>svg.
>
>If text is needed to describe the benefits, it's nowhere near being a real
>proposition.
>One can describe colour blindness with words, but the tests for it are not
>hidden in masses of text.
>Gill sans says what it is, but the beauty, is in the beholding.
>
>What are the current 'tests' for SVG, and where are they published? please
>note I am not referring to textual descriptions or algebraic formulae, but
>graphical representations that john doe can evaluate.
>
>There is a disgraceful and persistent refusal to create graphic intensive
>pages on the w3 site.
>Can we be assured that when and if SVG is supported, graphics will appear on
>the site?
>(I have serious doubts, as png, jpg and gif are fairly universal, yet there
>is extremely limited use.)
>What popular concensus is there that states, that proprietary graphics
>formats are neither universal nor accessible, and hence cannot be used?
>

>jonathan chetwynd
>
>some very wonderful examples of bitmaps are linked from
>http://www.signbrowser.org.uk/alf/i.html
>
>jc@signbrowser.org.uk
>IT teacher (learning difficulty)
>& accessibility consultant