RE: Text in buttons - a solution and proposal. (Everybody happy?)

At 10:19 AM 2000-10-30 +1100, Jason White wrote:
>I agree with Gregg: this proposal captures most of the discussion. I am
>slightly uneasy with the phrase "for text scalability" as it doesn't
>capture the idea that a markup language allows the content to be presented
>in different media. Thus, instead of "for text scalability" one could
>write: "for text scalability and to enable presentation by braille and
>speech-based user agents" or similar.
>
>This is a minor point, however, and I would not wish it to hold up any
>consensus which is, one hopes, now being reached.

Actually, this resembles a twinge I had.  I felt like it was too bad to lose
all the work that Lenny and others invested in teaching us about low vision
realities.  I think that the concept of a document that can expand and reflow
so as not to require two dimensions of scrolling is something that needs to be
captured in the permanent record of this thread.

My reading of the "for text scaling" was that it is targeted to answer the
question "why is ALT text not enough?"  Not that anybody considered an
alternative with no text, even ALT text.  The ALT text would allow for use in
Braille and speech.  But that point is yet another remnant of the prior
discussion that isn't entirely clear from the checkpoint-short statement in
the
current draft language, read in a vacuum.  That question by itself belongs
in a
FAQ somewhere.  It will be back, again, just like ALT="".

Al