Re: General Exception for Essential Purpose

At 12:40 PM 2000-10-29 +1100, Jason White wrote:

>Part 2 is what Kynn has referred to as a "backup scenario". What I fail to
>grasp is why, in principle, the resultant interface, generated from
>high-level abstractions through software, must be qualitatively inferior
>to a custom-designed interface (for a specific modality or output device)
>made available by the content developer. Thus I wouldn't regard scenario 2
>as in any way a second-rate solution, and it is quite possible to dispense
>with scenario 1 entirely through leaving user interface construction
>entirely outside the author's control; but the guidelines should not
>restrict content developers in deciding whether they will offer 0, 1, 2 or
>more interfaces in addition to their high-level markup and semantics,
>their equivalents, etc.

Why is there an advantage to working small variations off a closely-spaced set
of manually-composed bases, rather than reaching all forms by [relatively
larger] transformations of a single common base?

This is related to the fact that Web media are intrinsically semi-formal or
partially-understood formats.  Or the fact that our formal models of natural
language are approximate, not complete and fluent.

In natural language, the diction used in bullet lists is different from the
diction used in narrative or oral presentation of the same set of ideas.  The
transformations are complex.  The state of the art in natural language
processing is not presently up to performing the transformation between these
variants and appearing fluent in the output.  This is similar to the state of
automatic translation among natural languages.  Different display and
interaction spaces have their own idioms and optimizations that the artful
author and designer follow, but nobody has reduced to complete and fluent rule
sets.  The art of writing captures and conveys more than does the science of
grammar.

Written representations of Boolean algebra can be transformed entirely
automatically between visual graphics, linear typescript, and oral readout
without a twinge of lost information or grace.  But natural language is more
chaotic than Boolean algebra.  For most of Web content the sense is primarily
conveyed by only slightly enriched natural language (counting
verisimilitude in
diagrams and images as natural language).

To gracefully span a range of media as distant as HTML on the computer screen
compared with VoxML on the phone, it is not enough to change what we have
isolated in style languages as presentation properties.  "The content" has to
change, too.  This is a message that I think I heard Daniel take away from the
Bristol workshop.  I hope I am not misquoting him.

People with disabilities do put up with some pretty ugly transformations when
the alternative is that it doesn't work at all.  Commercial competition sets a
higher standard for graceful results.  So we should be glad that commercial
interest is now being shown in the problem of how to serve the same
information
in diverse interaction spaces.  The results of doing this intentionally should
turn out better than what we can arrange as workarounds.

I think that I would side with Jason a bit in saying that Kynn's claim that
the
single source strategy is inferior "in theory and in practice" is a little too
strong.  I am not sure we have adequate theory to demonstrate the theoretical
inferiority of that approach.  However, I am inclined to expect. with Kynn,
that the alternative where the people make more of the transformation
decisions
manually up front will work out better in practice.  Unless, of course, they
think that they have thought of everything and nothing therefore has to be
left
flexible...

Al