Re: Fwd: Accessibility, discrimination, and WCAG 2.0

At 10:27 AM 10/23/00 -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>Ah, okay.  Question, what about people who are unable to use a page,
>and might not be able to write e-mail, but have access to another
>person with different capabilities who could assist them with
>bringing the matter to the attention of a web designer?
>
>For example, a student in a course who is unable to use a site, and
>calls over her teacher, who writes email on her behalf.

Again, Kynn, the situation suggests that the teacher knows the student
needs to use the page, has planned for it in instruction, and the situation
is no different for the student being CD instead of blind. The teacher,
after being informed of the difficulty, can choose either to assign another
site, find another resource for that student, and perhaps notify the web
master that the original site failed the need.

>I'm not a lawyer -- and neither are the vast majority of people who
>will try to apply WCAG to measure how accessible their sites are --
>so the concept of "reasonable" is not one which I'm familiar with.

I'm not a lawyer either, Kynn, but I have taken a few intro law courses in
business and education which is where I learned about the concept of the
"reasonable man" ... what the "reasonable man" can foresee and prevent
(etc.). For example, would a "reasonable man" foresee that an uncovered
hole in his yard could be fallen into by a toddler who lives next door with
no fence between? So, would a "reasonable man" foresee that if he writes a
web site about growing flowers, could a cognitively disabled find his site
and want to use it?

>Can you offer a definition of "reasonable" which can be applied
>in this way?

Reasonable: That which can be anticipated by an ordinary, un-prejudiced
person given the required information. Required information would be
information on the needs and uses of the intended users.

Please keep asking questions. I feel a solution is in the making.

					Anne

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/Homeschooling