RE: 19 October 2000 minutes

At 9:31 AM -0400 10/20/00, Bailey, Bruce wrote:
>I very much regret not being able to make this call.
>(1)  Are we agreed that graphical text in navigation elements is a
>significant barrier to many folks with low vision?

Actually, I'm not convinced of this, with the ability of those users
to turn -off- graphics.

All of the content is available; none is hidden in the markup.  It
is clear what any given graphic represents.

Thus there are no absolute barriers to access, because the information
can be accessed in a simple, easy way which is available for free in
every browser.

(You can argue that turning off graphics may cause extra complications
to accessing that information -- but this is the case with _any_
single-presentation solution!  This problem only illustrates the
need for a solution such as Edapta's -- because this entire
debate becomes a _non-issue_ when you are able to generate optimized
user experiences!)

--Kynn
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/