RE: Baseline capabilities

Win95 OSR2 is still standard issue in a lot of larger companies...

If I had to draw baseline operating systems, I'd go with Win95, NT 4, Mac
OS 7.5.5, and Linux kernels 2.0.36+. The first two are common among older
PCs and slower corporations, respectively, and the latter two are both
freely available online. Further, Mac OS 7.5.5 runs on 68030 systems,
while Mac OS 8 only runs on the 040 and up, and 8.6 (I think) is
PowerPC-only.

The only real limitation that I see by dropping OS requirements back to
four- or five-year-old OSes is that Win95 (OSR 2+) has poor USB support,
while NT 4, System 7, and Linux 2.0 have none at all. If any enabling
technologies require USB, then the standards would have to be Win98 or ME,
Win2k, OS 8, and Linux 2.2 kernels, which is not terribly realistic.

----
matt