Re: Additional issue for alternate interfaces

Well, we have a set of guidelines with checkpoints that define 4 levels of
accessibility (including none). I understood from the meeting that we expect
to have this in WCAG 2.0 as well. I guess the issue that arises is whether it
is possible to claim conformance for components of a Web page.

So here is a formal proposal:

It is possible to claim conformance for an element or component of a page. In
order to do this, the component and any context required to get to it must
meet the level claimed, although there may be other content on the page that
does not.
  Note: If only part of a pagecan claim conformance then it is not correct to
use the conformance icon on the page - these only apply to a whole page. It
is possible to use RDF to claim conformance in metadata for the component,
provided that component can be addressed by a URI (CMN - this is true for
most things in a page using Xpointer, but things like frames and magic
javascripting can make it untrue).

For example, a page may have an interface to a telephone system that is not
accessible, and a portal component that is. Then it would be reasonable to
say the portal component is double-A or whatever. But if the page containg
the portal requires flash to work, or relies on java, or something we decide
is not accessible, in order to make the portal appear, then the component is
not accessible.

Part of the assumption underlying this is that we will have actually stated
explicitly what are the baseline requirements for a user agent, below which
the author need not worry.

Cheers

Charles McCN

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

  At 10:43 AM -0400 10/13/00, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
  >Yes, this is the crucial key. (There was a discussion a few months ago on
  >this).

  But the question of conformance then comes up -- HOW accessible, and
  to WHOM?

  And that's not an easy question at all to answer...

  --Kynn

September - November 2000:
W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France