Re: techniques for tables (clarifying how to handle nested tables for the ER group)

Yes, there are a number of cases where tabular data is nested. (I can see the
tables in books in my mind's eye, but don't have an example to hand.)

In some cases it could be done differently, but as onathan pointed out in
some cases it makes very good sense as a compact way to present data (in
situations where the reader can make use of the structure to improve
efficiency of comprehenson).

cheers

Charles McCN

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Jason White wrote:

  On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

  > I would have thought that whatever technique is used to apply headers to a
  > table cell should still apply, except the headers would then apply to the
  > whole of the nested table.

  Indeed, and the user agent would need to communicate the fact that the
  contents of every such cell is actually a table. Incidentally, do there
  exist genuine data tables which employ nesting other than in an attempt to
  control layout? To my knowledge, nested tables do not appear in
  conventional printed publications and are largely an artifact of the web,
  in which case the author should reconsider whether or not to use them at
  all.

--Charles McCathieNevile    mailto:charles@w3.org  phone: +61 409 134 136
W3C Web Accessibility Initiative                    http://www.w3.org/WAI
21 Mitchell Street, Footscray, VIC 3011,  Australia (I've moved!)