Re: techniques for tables (clarifying how to handle nested tables for the ER group)

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> I would have thought that whatever technique is used to apply headers to a
> table cell should still apply, except the headers would then apply to the
> whole of the nested table.

Indeed, and the user agent would need to communicate the fact that the
contents of every such cell is actually a table. Incidentally, do there
exist genuine data tables which employ nesting other than in an attempt to
control layout? To my knowledge, nested tables do not appear in
conventional printed publications and are largely an artifact of the web,
in which case the author should reconsider whether or not to use them at
all.