RE: interesting implementation of short cut keys

Bruce,

I hadn't looked at the rest of the page for accessibility, but thanks for
pointing out that it's not.  I was just passing on an interesting use of
javascript and "accesskeys".

Note that the example has implications for browsers like opera that use
keys without modifiers for browser navigation and to change user
preferences.  for example, opera uses the "e" and "d" keys to move forwards
and backwards through elements, and "g" to turn graphics on and off.  "r"
is used to reply to news articles.

which is too bad because i thought it worked really well (using netscape).

just fyi - the short cut key puzzle continues.
--w

At 05:10 PM 9/21/99 , Bruce Bailey wrote:
>Dear Wendy et al.,
>
>It is, um, "interesting" for sure.
>
>It worked nice on my first pass and my first response was "WOW!  How did
>they get ACCESSKEY to do that?"
>
>This is "just" stupid javascript tricks, which is not covered by the WCAG.
>
>The page is not nearly as function with Lynx or older browsers.
>
>The page is P1 compliant at best, since it does not parse through the W3C
>validator.
>
>Really it is not P1 either, since in a few places the ALT reads like
>"looker.gif (1665 bytes)" for the graphical horizontal rule (and a few
>other places too).
>
>At the very least, the Keyboard Navigation section of accessinfo.htm should
>have a disclaimer that the hot keys only work with the 4x (?) versions of
>IE and Navigator.
>
>Boy, am I a wet blanket or what?
>
>Bruce Bailey
>

>On Tuesday, September 21, 1999 12:08 PM, Wendy A Chisholm
>[SMTP:chisholm@trace.wisc.edu] wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > check out this page and let's discuss the technique they use to create
> > short cut keys.  it seems to work very well.
> >
> > to find out about how to use the page, check out
> > http://www.uchsc.edu/catp/accessinfo.htm
> >
> > the home page is
> > http://www.uchsc.edu/catp/
> >
> > --wendy