Re: Content negotiation example needed.

"1) Instead of including links such as "Here is the French version of this
document", use content negotiation so that the French version is served to
clients requesting French versions of documents."

Ok... after reading all the responses and viewing the examples, I can still
barely imagine that this technique is a "Page Author" responsibility unless
it could be  interpreted to mean:

[start proposed wording]
If you create more than one language version or format of a page:
a) ensure that your Web server supports content negotiation, then
b) depending on the requirements of your server, include the appropriate
markup or name the various files appropriately.
See your server's documentation or contact your ISP for further help.
[end proposed wording]

Some of the example files I looked at modify the file name like this:
 .../filename.html.xx (where xx= nl, en, fr, de, sv, ja, etc.), and some
use <HTML lang="xx"> while some don't.

This issue reminds me that there was once a suggestion that the
Guidelines/Techniques documents have a separate section for HTTP/Server
Accessibility checkpoints.

Comments?

Regards,
Chuck

At 12/09/99 02:47 PM , Al Gilman wrote:
>At 11:45 AM 9/12/99 -0400, Chuck Letourneau wrote:
>>Thanks to everybody who responded to my request for information about
>>content negotiation.  I am now going to read through it carefully
>>(including the external references provided) and try to synthesize
>>something simple for the curriculum.  I will post my result to the list for
>>your consideration.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Chuck Letourneau
>>

>A good starting point is Koen Holtzman's page on the subject at
>
> Transparent Content Negotiation in HTTP home page
> http://www.gewis.win.tue.nl/~koen/conneg/
>
>Which I found with the aid of the search:
>

>http://www.infind.com/infind/infind.exe?query=%22content+negotiation%22&time=7

----
Starling Access Services
 "Access A World Of Possibility"