RE: Cognition (was Re: Suggested issues that may be addressed in next version of guidelines)

At 02:28 PM 8/5/1999 -0400, Chuck Hitchcock wrote:
>Anne wrote:
>>I'm curious about your clicking to provide the full image
>>in a second window. Why do you choose to put it in another window?
>>Is there an advantage to the visual user?
>
>We are not sure yet.  It can be problematic to leave large spaces open for
the
>full size image.  Might as well put the image there.  If using a thumbnail,
>growing the image to full size require reformating the content around the
>image which then causes orientation problems for kids.

What I have done when I've made such pages was to put two versions of the
image on the web: the full sized one that comes up on the click, and the
smaller (resampled to 25% or so version) which is on the page itself. The
pages load fast with the small pictures, and the full sized pictures are
there as needed. The full sized pictures generally fill the whole screen,
which means the original page isn't visible. Is that what causes
orientation problems for some kids? Or are you trying to get the whole page
to work with the enlarged picture?

We have been working with schools in New Hampshire, Maine,
>Massachusetts and Texas on this problem for a couple of years and many have
>resorted to scanning books and putting them into supported reading engines.

Unless excellent equipment is available, it's a tedious and thankless job
to scan in text and correct it, and doing enough to keep up with the needs
of a learning youngster. I remember before scanners, trying to key in text
to provide resources to special students. But, it's somewhat like feeding a
stray cat, the more you do the more you have to do. The digital resource
library sounds excellent! Especially if there is a way to provide the
resources to those who aren't validated with a disabling need (just an
educational need) whether by payments or whatever. The need is apparent,
and it isn't a special ed need, but an educational need.

				Anne

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/apembert