Re: Proposed text for addressing Checkpoint 3.3 issue (diction cmt.)

At 12:02 PM 7/28/99 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Reference document:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505/
>
>Summary of the issue:
>
>  Checkpoint 3.3 reads
>      "Use style sheets to control layout and presentation. [Priority
>2]".
>
>  Content developers feel this is an unfair burden since style sheets
>  aren't supported well across browsers.
>
>  Checkpoint 11.1 reads
>      "Use W3C technologies when they are available and
>       appropriate for a task and use the latest versions
>       when supported. [Priority 2]"
>
>  The Guidelines don't make it adequately clear that 11.1 "covers" 3.3.
>  Furthermore, the Techniques document doesn't make it adequately
>  clear that the CSS [1], [2] implementations MAY take into account
>markup
>  as well as style sheets, so that authors may use both and that
>  style sheets MAY take precedence when supported.

I think that the last 'MAY' may confuse people unnecessarily.

It would appear from reading the cited clauses in CSS1 and CSS2 that if the
author wishes the stylesheets to take precedence in CSS-compliant user
agents, the combination of HTML 3.2 presentational attributes and CSS
stylesheets can always be written so that the stylesheet will take
precedence.  It may be a hit-or-miss proposition based on uneven
implementation of the CSS specifications, but the outcome for conforming
UAs seems clear.

It would seem more appropriate to say style sheets "will take precedence"
where supported, or at least "can take precedence" where supported.

Al