Re: Plane Comments

Daniel Dardailler wrote:

Unless mentioned, other comments incorporated. Thanks
for the comments Daniel!

 - Ian

> >   A PDF file:
>
> I know this is not specific to WAI GL I always wonder the value of
> providing a proprietary format here. Why not Word then (no!)

A lot of people ask for PDF. We do have to draw the line somewhere
(e.g., we don't provide a stuffit archive). Arnaud and I thought
PDF and PS was enough and I haven't changed this list since then.

> Use "important", the defined term, not critical (or add critical in
> the index definition)

Agreed.

I have a separate problem with defining the word "important". It already
has a meaning in English. Can't we use that one?

> >   This is particularly important for objects that contain text but does
> >   not apply to instant redirection. Some people with cognitive
>
> Add "instant redirection done by the server"

Proposed:

"This guideline is very important for objects that contain
text but does not apply when the server performs the instant
redirection."

I'm not sure what "objects that contain text" means, however.

> >  A.11 Ensure that embedded custom user interfaces are directly accessible.
> >
> >   The accessibility of objects with their own interface is independent
>
> Somehow I feel this is not true. I'd rather not affirm that.

Proposed:

"When you embed an object in a document that has its "own interface"
(i.e, it may not be controlled by the user agent), you must consider and
ensure the accessibility of that interface (e.g., device-independent
access to functionality, keyboard operability, self-voicing, etc.)  If
the interface of the embedded object cannot be made accessible, an
alternative accessible solution must be provided."

> >   1. Where possible, make programmatic elements, such as scripts and
> >      applets, directly accessible. (See also A.9). [Priority 1] if
>
> I would actually favor moving this one in A.9 and removing A.11
> altogether.

Perhaps the WG should discuss that at the teleconf. For now, I'll
leave as is.

>     1. For image maps, provide alternative text for links. (See also A.1)
(This is A.12.1)

Furthermore, it is duplicated as A.1.3.

Proposed: Delete A.12.1 but leave A.1.3.

> >    4. Indicate what type of resource you are linking to , especially
> >       when linking to resources that are not W3C technologies, For
>
> I'm not really happy with this one. I like it to be a P2 for things
> like PDF, Word.

Other opinions?

> > B.2 Checkpoints:
>
> Need a new one for "use Metadata".
>   Use metadata (e.g. RDF) to add semantics information to your page
>  (such as author, kind of content, etc
>
> And a technique pointing to w3.org/Metadata.

I will add a Priority 2 checkpoint for this and a link
to the RDF specification.

> >   4. Offer a site map. [Priority 3]
> >   6. Offer different types of searches for different skill levels and
> >      preferences. [Priority 3]
>
> I got feedback from people that these two should be P2.

Opinions?

> >   8. Facilitate off-line browsing by creating a single downloadable
>
> How is this accessibility related ? Suggest dropping.

Helps accessibility by reducing amount of navigation across documents.

> >   10. Provide a link at the beginning of a group of related links to
> >       bypass the group. [Priority 3]
>
> Not sure what this one mean. Need to be more detailed. Maybe only a
> technique then ?

I agree. I propose making it a comment related to the previous
checkpoint, which reads:

    Group related links, such as links used to create a
    navigation bar, and attach a meaningful title on the
    element creating the group

> >  Braille
> >         Accessible The word "Accessible" in braille.
>
> In the graphics, I would indicate visually the unraised dots (with
> empty little circle), so that people understand the notion of 6 dots matrix
> more easily.

We can do this during the last call period. I nominate you. <grin>

Thanks again Daniel,

 - Ian

--
Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)