Re: Language info recommendations

[Nir Dagan]
> I would say that it is an accessibility issue, since it seems more
> important in speech medium than in visual medium.
>
> Paradoxically, there have been many more discussions about this in
> the stylesheet mailing list concerning how quotation marks are
> presented visually in different languages. (as if a document is
> unreadable if the quotation marks are not the correct ones).

That's a trivial example of how language affects the sighted, but it's
more important in other aspects, notably the display of Asian
ideographs.  In Unicode, the same code points, or numbers, are used
for the "Han unification" ideographs, regardless of whether the
character is Chinese, Japanese, or Korean.  The language is necessary
in order to display the correct picture.

So this is definitely an accessibility issue, but is by no means
restricted in its importance to access.  It's yet another curb cut.

-Chris