Re: URL for new Draft to Review

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Jason White wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
>
> > I don't really understand what the drafters meant by "when a
> > server-side map must be used", but I'm assuming they have some
> > concrete situation in mind.  Are they for example thinking of a
> > contest or puzzle, with the answers hidden in the server, and the use
> > of a client-side map could give the answers away?
>
> Each region of a client side map must conform to one of the shapes
> supported by the SHAPE attribute defined in the HTML 4.0 specification.

I.e one of RECT, CIRCLE, POLY or DEFAULT

> If
> a more complex map is to be created, in which the regions are irregular in
> shape, then the author has no choice but to opt for a server side map.

You have me at a loss now.  I wasn't aware that typical server-side
maps supported any other shapes.  The CERN server supports circle,
rectangle and polygon: NCSA and Apache support rect, poly, circle and
point.  While "point" may offer additional convenience, I think it can
be adequately simulated for a client side map by using the available
shapes.

Or were you thinking of some kind of custom script, instead of the
server's own imagemapping program?

> Hence it is necessary for the guidelines to provide an alternative
> solution which can be applied whenever this contingency arises.

Yes, I wasn't offering any objection at all to that as a principle (I
was a bit concerned about the self-contradictory way in which the
guidelines set it down, but that has already been discussed in the
last few days). The point of my question was not to object to the
principle, but rather to learn more about what kind of situations the
drafters had in mind as ones where a server-side map "must be used".

best regards