RE: Forms and Labels problem

yes, we're discussing the label element and explicitly associating it with
its control.
for example, text input fields (example given in guidelines).

the problem we are trying to avoid is confusing authors so that they create
a <label> to associate with
a button.  This would be a problem since, as you pointed out, a button
implicitly has a label that
is displayed on its face (its "name").  A button could also have alt-text
associated with it.  Thus, it
is not necessary for an author to create a label and associate it with a
button.

we need to ensure that the guidelines are not misleading and authors don't
create extra work
for themselves.
--wendy