Re: Forms and Labels problem

Do you think that if a control does not have a label that an author might
create one to satisfy the recommendation?  If so, we might want to include
a submit button with out a label in the example and follow it with a
statement along the lines of:

  This guideline does not apply to controls that do not have labels such as
submit buttons and hidden controls.
(or in the positive:  This guideline only applies to controls that have
labels and not to controls such as submit buttons and hidden controls).

However, since we don't require every control to have a label, it might not
be a problem.   it's perfectly clear to me <smile>

thoughts?
--wendy

At 11:06 AM 4/7/98 , Josh Krieger wrote:
>In regards to: 10.2. Explicitly associate labels with their control.
>
>It is problematic to require people to associate LABELs with
><INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT> buttons and BUTTONs primarily because these
>controls often have no text to associate with them. Should
>we be requiring empty LABELs or none at all?
>
>There is also the sly <INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN> which shouldn't
>be required to have a LABEL associated with it.
>
>Josh Krieger

wendy chisholm
human factors engineer
trace research and development center