  From: Sailesh Panchang
  To: chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca
  Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 12:32 PM
  Subject: A new check for the Open Accessibility Checks

  Hello Chris,
  Couple of checks I can think of  that can be incorporated and even automated:
  (By the way, is there a list of contributors where one gets a mention and acknowledgment?)
  problem 1:
  Often items that can be marked up as a list  are not so marked up. It makes sense if one can detect  non-linked text that can be marked up as a list.
  Detection with reasonable level of certainty is possible by identifying :
  a.  consecutive lines of short text that are not in one paragraph element  which have been marked up with a heading tag (h1 to h6) at the same level. i.e. a bunch of lines all marked up as h3 or h4 etc. This also suggests misuse of heading tag for font and perhaps  need for using list structure.
  b. a layout table in which one column has a bullet (a character or an image like a star, arrow etc)  and the next column has an item of text in it
  c. Consecutive lines with a bullet (a character or an image like a star, arrow etc)    followed by  an item of text.
  Problem 2:
  Many sites prefix  text links with word like "link to", the org's name, or  the like that results in inefficient first letter navigation of links from  within a list of links. (List of links are presented by screen-readers for instance). Also these redundant prefixxes imply that:
  - probable need for grouping links,
  - key words or phrases are not being used to begin link names, and
  - the link is probably longer than it should be.
  Detection with reasonable level of certainty is possible by identifying :
  A finite number (say 3 or 5, etc that is user definable) of links on a page that begin with the same word(s)
  Sailesh Panchang
  Senior Accessibility Engineer
  Deque Systems,11180  Sunrise Valley Drive,
  4th Floor, Reston VA 20191
  Tel: 703-225-0380 Extension 105
  E-mail: sailesh.panchang@deque.com
  Fax: 703-225-0387