From: w3c-wai-er-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-er-ig-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Charles McCathieNevile
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 8:08 AM
To: Chris Ridpath
Cc: WAI ER IG List
Subject: Updated Re: URI for Re: EARL for non-experts

>> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/talks/200311-earl/all.htm

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Chris Ridpath wrote:

>Very helpful!
>
>I really need a description for 'describing the error'.

Do you mean what I have called "locating the error"? I ahven't done that
yet. It's tricky... which I guess is why it is an open issue <grin/>.

I'll add some stuff, and discuss it here in parallel.

>When describing an image, we use the image filename. A problem with
>this approach is that all images with the same filename are treated the

>same. If the author states that image flower.gif does not require a
>long description then we assume that another instance of flower.gif in
>the same file does not require a long description.

This is a question we have looked at in the development of WAINu - being
able to keep the context of an image use is important, as is being able
to handle multiple alt values. LIFT goes some way there in categorising
image types - for a spacer gif there is basically no need to track
context, for others there may be, and others might be icons, where
consistent context is itself a checkpoint requirement.

cheers

Chaals