Re: Evaluating and repairing tables

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've run the mock-site that Matt May created [1] through a few eval/repair
> tools.  None of them have caught or warned me about the markup of the table
> of stock price data that is only a couple rows and a couple of
> columns.  The data are separated by br elements.  Thus you read the entire
> list of stock symbols followed by the entire list of stock prices.

Catching that one is an interesting thought: maybe "anything directly
a <td>" might generate a warning.  Once the new HTML Valet is fully up-
and-running, you'll be able to incorporate such a test into your own
accessibility schema if it isn't in any of the system-supplied ones.

I can't see how you could try to repair this without human intervention.

Page Valet doesn't pick up on the misuse of <br>, but does generate
quite a lot of complaints about the table, and it seems to me that
if you address the complaints you should see the problem in doing so.

What WCAG checkpoint(s) are being violated specifically by the <br>?

--
Nick Kew

Available for contract work - Programming, Unix, Networking, Markup, etc.