RE: In memoriam

I can't begin to do justice to Len's virtues, or his contributions to the
WAI.
So I won't try.  Others have hit the high spots.  Here is but a tiny example
that I particulary enjoyed:

Len had a knack for defusing a flamewar on the listservs.  He would simply
wade
into the discussion that had degenerated into a food fight, and lead the
thread
back to higher ground by posting something on topic in a civil, constructive
tone.  No admonitions to play nice; just an example _right there_ of how we
all
should have been behaving.  It was often all it took to spread oil on the
waters.  Everybody recognized the problem and the difference.  This left
nobody
mad at him, and countless lurkers thankful.

This is but one of the many ways we benefited from his perennial warmth and
grace.

Al