Re: side by side text

At 01:39 PM 9/25/2000 , Leonard R. Kasday wrote:
>Good news indeed.
>
>As a practical matter, though, what do I do now when e.g. judging if a page with side by side text and no alternative page meets triple A.
>Yes or No?

I don't know if there is a clear answer.  This is an obvious "bug"
in WCAG 1.0 (and as William said, we are planning to fix it in
WCAG 2.0, speaking as someone on the WCAG working group).  Right
now, I believe that "until user agents" requires the reader of the
WCAG document (or the person doing the testing) to make their
own judgments about how far technology has advanced.  So it is
really your call.  (This is why I call it a "bug" in WCAG 1.0!)

In my opinion, I would say that side-by-side text with no alternative
page/representation does not pass a strict interpretation of triple
A, but then I can't ever imagine designing a practical site for
full triple-A compliance anyway.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                    http://kynn.com/
Director of Accessibility, Edapta               http://www.edapta.com/