Re: Image recognition tools?

At 06:40 AM 2000-10-25 -0700, William Loughborough wrote:
>NYT: "A Paris-based technology company Tuesday will unveil a filter that
>sends an email alert to customers whenever it finds a lewd picture or photo
>on a Web site. ImageFilter, the newest product from Internet infrastructure
>provider LookThatUp, is an "image recognition engine" that breaks down
>photos or drawings into their unique visual attributes. ImageFilter is the
>latest in a growing repertoire..."
>
>"LookThatUp, founded by scientists from the Image and Multimedia Indexing
>Group at the French National Institute for Research in Computer Science"
>
>I wonder if this is worth looking at (the tool, not the pictures it censors
><g>)?

Censors?  Advertises.

For related capabilities, check out participants in research meetings on
"Image
and gesture analysis."

Cataloguing (indexing and describing) the images of the whole Web is a project
that I have toyed with proposing to Entropia as part of their cause marketing
strategy.  This is a) clearly of social benefit, so Entropia wins once b)
something you just wouldn't think you could do until they come on the
scene, so
they win twice.

Al

<http://www.entropia.com/>www.entropia.com -- of course.