Re: ERT XHTML Module for the WAI

At 2:51 PM +0000 11/19/00, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
>  > What is the probability of browser support - or is that even
>>  a major factor? If I understand correctly any browser that
>  > handles HTML X.x and CSSx will qualify?
>Yes, there are no compatability issues whatsoever. [...]
>Any HTML groking browser that supports XHTML also supports m12n. Note that
>additions with certin behavoiurs aren't automatically supported, but it
>doesn't hurt to add them if they have a specific function.

I think we need to be very careful how we state these things,
especially when there are non-technical audiences in WAI who are
reading them (the kind of people who _don't_ read DTDs and specs).

I don't think it's fair to say that any HTML browser existing now
will "support" modularized XHTML.  The term "support" means different
things to different people and in different contexts.  I think we
want to be careful here because any XHTML module we write won't
magically "do anything" in any existing (or even possibly future)
browser.  The paragraph you wrote (quoted above) could easily
mislead some members of this interest group to assume too much is
capable with XHTML modularization and raise expectations too high.

Any XHTML module we write will only be useful in as much as there
is software (browsers, editors, evaluation tools, etc.) specifically
written to use that module.

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>