Re: Proposal for Technique 13.6.1 Grouping links

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:

  I think the ideal solution is to either work with the author to include all
  of the navigation links in one cell, or one row, or to entirely  nest a new
  table into one cell of the existing table (although these all sound pretty
  ugly although very likely).  perhaps there may be some overlap with helping
  the author convert a table for layout to style sheets (in an idealistic
  future where CSS positioning is supported, of course).

CMN Yep.

WC
  >giving a tabindex 1 after the map isn't enough - in implementations, the
  >tabindex goes to the things with explicit tabindex then starts from the top
  >of the page (so it isn't all that helpful in genereal <sigh/>). Better is to
  >include a "skip navlinks" option.

  I don't propose to only use tabindex = 1.  There are 4 pieces to the repair
  action:
  1. create an A element immediately following the group of links.
  2. put a name on it.
  3. put a tabindex=1 on it
  4. put an A element immediately before the group of links that links to the
  "A name" that you just created.

CMN
What you wrote was clear. The point I was trying to make is that after the
tabindex=1 point, the next time the user tabs they will go back to the first
thing on the page - tabindex brings the focus, but things with tabindex are
treated outside the normal order, rather than reordering the tabindex. So if
you have

link 1
link 2
link 3
name 1 tabindex=1
link 4
link 5
name 2 tabindex=2

and you keep pressing tab you go in the following order:

name 1 tabindex=1
name 2 tabindex=2
link 1
link 2
link 3
link 4
link 5

chaals

  Obviously, I need to make that clearer in the proposed text:
    If the user wants to bypass a group of links and wants to include a link on
     the page:
     - Insert an A element with "name=foo"  and "tabindex=1" just after
     the group of links or wherever you want the user to end up when they
  skip the group of links.
     - Insert an A element just before the group of links with "href=foo"

  --wendy