Re: Proposal for Technique 13.6.1 Grouping links

>a p element should be included inside the map (it requires block content, not
>inline).

ok

>For the same reason, there is no problem having non link content
>included (except that there is a problem trying to wrap a map around a
>section of a table I suspect, although there needn't be. Maybe I am getting
>cynical about conformance to specification...)

right, I don't see something like the following ever happening:
<map id=1>
</map>
<map id=1>
</map>

then asking the user agent to pull together all of the links in map
id=1.  Better in that case to use a class to span across table cells, but
then that seems pretty silly.

I think the ideal solution is to either work with the author to include all
of the navigation links in one cell, or one row, or to entirely  nest a new
table into one cell of the existing table (although these all sound pretty
ugly although very likely).  perhaps there may be some overlap with helping
the author convert a table for layout to style sheets (in an idealistic
future where CSS positioning is supported, of course).

>giving a tabindex 1 after the map isn't enough - in implementations, the
>tabindex goes to the things with explicit tabindex then starts from the top
>of the page (so it isn't all that helpful in genereal <sigh/>). Better is to
>include a "skip navlinks" option.

I don't propose to only use tabindex = 1.  There are 4 pieces to the repair
action:
1. create an A element immediately following the group of links.
2. put a name on it.
3. put a tabindex=1 on it
4. put an A element immediately before the group of links that links to the
"A name" that you just created.

Obviously, I need to make that clearer in the proposed text:
  If the user wants to bypass a group of links and wants to include a link on
   the page:
   - Insert an A element with "name=foo"  and "tabindex=1" just after
   the group of links or wherever you want the user to end up when they
skip the group of links.
   - Insert an A element just before the group of links with "href=foo"

--wendy