Re: New technique: Technique 11.1.1 [priority 2] Verify that W3C technologies are used.

I don't see any point converting GIF to PNG, at least as long as we're
using ALT or LONGDESC.

Unless... we want to use the text string part of PNG.  That's a guidelines
issue.

Len

At 05:17 PM 1/31/00 -0500, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:
>Michael wrote:
>Checkpoint 11.1 - Use W3C technologies when they are available and
>appropriate for a task and use the latest versions when supported
>New Technique: ask
>
>I propose (note the many @@'s, i.e. questions and unfinished work:
>Technique 11.1.1 [priority 2] Verify that W3C technologies are used.
>Discussion Status:
>awaiting discussion
>Evaluation:
>Check for uses of non-W3C technologies such as: PDF, Flash, GIF images,
>JPG images, proprietary HTML elements (@@other major ones??).
>@@See 1.1.1 for images used for mathematical equations.
>Note. I left out JavaScript because there is not a W3C equivalent
>technology yet.
>Example Language:
>Non-W3C technology used:  W3C technologies have been reviewed for
>accessibility issues throughout the design phase and have accessibility
>built-in. Many non-W3C formats require specific applications (often called
>plug-ins) that are inaccessible or do not work well with assistive
>technologies.  Using W3C technologies will tend to make pages more
>accessible to more people using a wider variety of hardware and software.
>If inaccessible technologies (proprietary or not) must be used, equivalent
>accessible pages must be provided.
>Repair Technique:
>Suggest that where appropriate, the author:
>convert quicktime movies (others?) into SMIL presentations.
>convert GIF and JPG images to PNG or SVG.
>convert Flash animations to a combination of valid HTML, SMIL, and PNG or SVG.
>@@convert images of math equations to MathML.
>@@Note: many of these W3C formats are not widely supported
>yet.  Therefore, how do we deal with this in the meantime?  Present the
>info and let the author decide?
>Use a text-only page generator to create an equivalent accessible page.
>Test Files and Discussion Files:
>--
>wendy a chisholm
>world wide web consortium
>web accessibility initiative
>madison, wi usa
>tel: +1 608 663 6346
>/--

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering
Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122

kasday@acm.org
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)