Re: FW: making applets accessible

Neat!  Yes, that rendered the scrolling ticker at http://www.att.com
accessible.

For this particular applet one could apply some ad hoc rules to make it
more compact.  Right now it's rendered as

AT&T WorldNet Service growing faster than the industry average
[http://www.att.com/press/item/0,1193,343,00.html]
[http://www.att.com/press/item/0,1193,343,00.html]

In this special case, you could make the text "AT&T Worldnet..." a link
with the URL on the second line, and discard the third line.

However, this means we're guessing the semantics and gets away from the
simple algorithm of just listing the applet params.  It would take some
more experiments to find out whether guessing semantics helps or hurts.

As for why you didn't see a ticker at http://www.temple.edu

That's a version that contains frames and a scrolling ticker.  The web
access gateway however goes to the <noframes> version, which doesn't have a
ticker.

So I guess at this point it doesn't handle frames?

Len

http://epona.ucam.org/~ssb22/

>"I know of no way of judging the future but by the past" - 18th century
> American statesman Patrick Henry

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
kasday@acm.org
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)