    From: Chris Ridpath [mailto:chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca]
    Sent: Monday, November 16, 1998 3:11 PM
    To: mike
    Subject: Re: Automatic Alt Text Generation

    Michael,

    I'm looking forward to looking at the specs for your semester project
next week. Please let me know when they're available.

    It seems to me that everything in the document has a purpose. The
purpose of the decorative image you describe is decoration (ALT="decoration
image"). If you allow ALT="" then the Lynxx user does not know if the
document creator forgot to put in Alt text or it is one of your decoration
images.

    Cheers,
    Chris