FW: Review of W3C draft of "Making Content Usable for People with Cognitive and Learning Disabilities"

I just received Willa's feedback this morning.

From: Armstrong, Willa <warmstrong@loc.gov>
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2020 7:27 AM
To: Keen, Laura <lkee@loc.gov>; Smith, Natalie Buda <nsmith@loc.gov>
Subject: RE: Review of W3C draft of "Making Content Usable for People with Cognitive and Learning Disabilities"

Hi Laura,

I did and it was great. I'm a frequent user of the WAI site and this layout of WCAG<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/quickref/>. With all the resources presented in this format, I miss left rail page navigation that collapses to just the h2s, visually shows where you are, and expands to show child headings of the section you're in. I'll likely refer most often to the summary, design, and personas section of the shared draft. Some notes:

*         Summary: if the list was a nested or definition list with the main goal in one line and the text description on a second line; would be easier to scan the main goals.

*         User Stories section: Looks like sections got swapped; second sentence says "...as the design guide above" but the design guide section is below.

*         Design Guide: When I read the more details section, I felt I had to go back and reread the description and how it helps section to connect the information. Could the information in "More Information" be merged into the "Descriptions" section or order of the sections switched to Description, More Details, How It Helps.

*         Personas: I didn't realize at first that the initial problem/works well info were just examples. I ended up reading the descriptions and then going back and reading the initial problem/works well section.

*         Appendix: Mapping User Needs, Persona, and Patterns: Noticed the scenarios are linked but the user stories and patterns are not. I'd be more likely to use this as a cross reference tool if they were all linked.

*         Broken Link: Makaton symbols link is a 404

*         Additional Topics: Would be interested to see modals addressed, particularly modals that irregularly gets introduced on page load, interrupt expected navigation patterns, an solicit money or personal information like email. For example, a popup donation request during a Library's fundraising season or newsletter sign-up requests.

Thanks for sharing; will definitely be referring to and using this resource.

Best,
Willa