Re: Direct Outreach on Implementing WCAG 2.1

Hi Katie,

I read that page before sending this to EO. The approach is contradicts web
standards.

Title="meaning" is not a part of HTML or ARIA.  All icon font instances
should have role="img". That is standard. Question: when a partially
sighted person hovers over a title="meaning" what tool tip to they get,
"meaning" or the ARIA label. Also, the non SVG cases do not use
title="meaning" or role="img". This failure was to support LV, the user may
have no way to see an ARIA label. The "title" attribute has a deterministic
meaning in HTML, it is not meant to carry directions to compilers, browsers
or interpreters. role="img" has a deterministic meaning in ARIA. A program
can depend on its meaning.

AG has specified a way to avoid the failure. Awesome should just give the
proper result. There is no need to overload the "title" attribute with an
unintended role when a well defined ARIA role exists.

I like the idea of a tweat from EO. It is simple, authoritative and puts
Awesome on notice.

It wouldn't hurt to send out a notice to schools, and key industries
including icon font foundries. Awesome can suggest title="meaning", but we
should not certify it as standard until it is an official part of HTML,
otherwise compilers cannot depend on the meaning of "meaning".

Can you see this from the assistive technologies developer perspective. One
could put a span that encloses a critical sentence in an essay and add the
title="meaning" to indicate this sentence embodied the meaning of the
entire exposition. That is the problem with non-deterministic attribute
values.

Best, Wayne